Dental Sealants – Aubrey, TX
Creating a Barrier of Protection for Healthy Smiles
If you’ve ever tried talking to your kids about the harmful effects of plaque and bacteria, you were likely met with a disinterested look or fly-by response of “Okay, got it, mom!” When it comes to taking care of those hard to reach areas of your child’s mouth, their molars and premolars can often remain neglected, resulting in an increased risk of bacteria and food particles burrowing deep into the pits and grooves of their teeth and causing decay and cavities to form. At WindHaven Pediatric Dentistry, Dr. Lee and her team want to help you and your child combat these problems by using dental sealants. These preventive coatings create a barrier between your child’s teeth and the harmful particles that can damage their youthful smile. To learn more about how your child can receive this form of treatment, contact our team today!
Why Choose WindHaven Pediatric Dentistry for Dental Sealants?
- A quick and easy procedure that is completely painless
- Administered by a board-certified pediatric dentist
- A safe and effective way to combat plaque and harmful bacteria
What Are Dental Sealants?
Dental sealants are a BPA-free clear, plastic coating that is placed over the chewing surfaces of your child’s molars and premolars. Serving as a barrier between their tooth enamel and harmful bacteria, food particles, and acids, it protects the smallest crevices from becoming plagued with decay.
This preventive treatment takes only minutes to apply and is a completely painless process. Also, as long as your child maintains good oral habits at home and keeps their regular six-month dental appointments, the sealants can last for 10 years.
How Does the Process Work?
For your child to receive dental sealants, they will need to be old enough that they can sit still for the few minutes it takes to place the protective coating. Once we are ready to begin, Dr. Lee will clean your child’s teeth thoroughly to remove any debris found on, around, or in-between these teeth. Once they are dry, she will slightly roughen the chewing surfaces to ensure the sealant adheres to the teeth.
She will then rinse the teeth and dry them once more before applying the clear, plastic coating to their molars and premolars. If necessary, a curing light will be used to harden the coating, effectively keeping it in place.
Why Are They Beneficial?
As one of the many preventive services we offer at WindHaven Pediatric Dentistry, Dr. Lee believes in the benefits of dental sealants as a way to better protect growing and developing smiles. Because children are prone to developing cavities at a young age, this preventive measure can keep their smile healthy and strong as they transition into adolescence and adulthood.
Some of the greatest benefits of dental sealants include:
- An increased layer of protection for young children who have yet to refine their dental habits at home.
- Minimized bacterial exposure in the mouth.
- Strengthened tooth enamel because of the sealants' ability to keep decay out and from penetrating the outer layer of the tooth.
- Decreased likeliness for future dental problems. Dental sealants can save you time and money because your child’s teeth will be free of cavities. Fillings, dental crowns, and other costly treatments can be time-consuming and result in money being saved for vacation going toward restorative dental work instead.